Monday, August 14, 2006

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

Safran Foer writes himself as a character in this novel, which takes place over several generations ranging from the 1700s to the 1900s. The hero travels to the Ukraine in order to research his grandfather’s escape from the Nazis. There are several stories taking place at the same time: the history of Safran’s family, the translator’s story about Safran’s research, and letters that this translator (Alex) about editing both stories. It’s kind of hard to explain. But, I loved this author’s style and characterization. Despite the dark content and sickening descriptions of Nazi torment, he tells the story with great love and humor. (In fact, he mentions that humor is the only true way to tell a sad story.) It is definitely the novel you should pick up if you’re looking for something new and original. I had trouble picking my favorite quote, so I narrowed it down to two. (Originally I had seven.)

“The bruises go away, and so does your hate, and so does the feeling that everything you receive in life is something you have earned.”

“I saw Herschel and he saw me and we stood next to each other because that is what friends do in the presence of evil or love.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home