Friday, July 28, 2006

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Part of the bookshelf in my living room is designated for “classic and contemporary novels I have never read but should so that other English teachers won’t look at me like I’m stupid.” This was one of those. It is the story of Billy Pilgrim, a soldier and prisoner of war during the WWII firebombing of Dresden. Most critics consider this an “anti-war” novel. I think Vonnegut was trying to do more with it. He seems to say that war is never glorious, but it is inevitable – like death. Even when it is necessary it is full of unnecessary parts ranging from the nightmarish to the ridiculous. Vonnegut has a gift for combining a kind of sarcastic, witty humor with the sickening mournfulness that is standard issue for topics like war. Favorite Quote: “All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home