Monday, July 31, 2006

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris

Sedaris’ first collection of memoirs, Me Talk Pretty One Day, had me rolling on the floor, clutching my sides with laughter. This set of essays continues the tradition of side-splitting glee. (Though, honestly, I thought his first collection was funnier). I admire the way he shares his most embarrassing, neurotic, ridiculous anecdotes – and those of his entire family. It takes real guts to humiliate your loved ones like that. My favorite quote comes from one of the stories about his teen years: “How was it that one moment you could look so good and the next you would give almost anything to crawl into your grocer’s freezer, settling beneath the pot pies until you reached that mysterious age at which a person could truly think for himself.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home