Monday, July 03, 2006

Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper

Frankly, I thought this book was a waste of time. I kept turning the pages just waiting for it to be over. I feel guilty saying that because it was given to me as a gift and recommended by several people. While I like the fact that Piper references scripture, he does so to such a degree that there is only a sprinkling of actual commentary in some parts. It ends up being just a list of verses – very choppy – and too much focus on the basics without requiring any real thinking from the reader. Also, I really didn’t care for the part where he said we were all “silent learners” when it comes to our pursuit of Christ and we should simply “cover our mouths” and listen. Jesus was and is a great teacher and, as far as I can tell, none of his original disciples were “silent learners.” I really didn’t have a favorite quote but this one made me smile because I could picture Jesus in peals of laughter, clutching his sides with a drink coming out his nose. (He may even be farting a little.) “Favorite” Quote: “It is not glorious to be gloomy. Therefore Christ has never been gloomy . . . Jesus Christ is the happiest being in the universe.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I read The Stupidest Angel but haven't checked out Lamb yet. I enjoy Moore as well. It never hurts to remember Jesus was God AND man.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home