Saturday, June 24, 2006

Interpreter of Maladies by Junpa Lahiri

This selection of sort stories is incredible. It comes as no surprise that this author won the Pulitzer. Lahiri's exquisite tales about Indian immigrants have a mysterious way of clutching the heart with their simplicity and soulfullness. It's hard to imagine how a person can yearn for life in the United States but still miss a place like Calcutta, but she achieves it with exquisite detail and heartfelt interpretations of each character's life. I was deeply moved by this book. Favorite Quote: "There are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home